Saturday 9 May 2009

Network security

.
Wow, the topic of this week is information security!Very good!
Let's start by saying that, thanks to this task, I learned a couple of interesting things about hackers:
  • first of all, it is curious to know that when we talk about hackers, we are not referring only to people who commit information crimes (the right term to define them is crackers). Anyway, nowadays everybody means that. Originally, the verb 'to hack' meant 'to mess about';
  • ok, we usually know that a hacker does illegal things...but did you know that he can be divided in two great categories? He can be a black hat or a white hat. The first one uses his knowledge to get a personal advantage. He creates and sends virus, trojan horses, he penetrates into private systems..in short, he gets people into trouble. The second one uses his competences in order to test security and for this reason he is called ethical hacker. Then there is the grey hat, too, that is the ambiguous one;
  • there is a hacker ethic, which focuses on sharing and openness. I like the idea that, at the bottom of this ethic, there is the consideration Computers can change your life for the better.
Internet can be dangerous if you use it ingenuously (sometimes, even if you don't do it). There are a lot of bad things which can happen to your pc and that can undermine your privacy. Anyway, in my opinion, the idea to avoid internet is inconceivable. Willy-nilly, it has become an essential part of our life. It's a great power, and, as all the great powers, it can have its light and shave. Sometimes it is wielded with bad consequences: it's the price to pay.
The only thing we can do is be responsible when we use it and try to protect ourself using firewall and antivirus. And hope everything goes well!
.
If you want to know more:

4 comments:

  1. Hi Francesca!
    Hope you're doing well.

    As I told you before, I always like the way in which you organize your posts' layout. The information are clearly organized, ideas' flow is easy to follow, clear and concise.
    I also like the fact that you focused on our last task: the definiton of 'hacker'.

    I totally agree with you when you say that avoiding the use of the Internet is inconceivable. Beyond all the web traps, the Internet has a LOT of advantages: huge amount of info, simple way of search (search engines), to name a few.

    As regards linguitic feedback, your English is very good and fluent, and your vocabulary is very rich.
    However, I have to do my dirty job ;) :

    - I'd say 'Internet security' instead of 'information security'. I'd specify the kind of information we're talking about, thus, info related to the use of the Internet;

    - I'd say 'there are different types of hackers' rather then 'he can be divided...categories'. First of all, 'to divide' I think it is followed by 'into'. Secondly, to 'divide' HE (a person) into something doesn't sound so good to me...it's just my impression;

    - I'd say ' to avoid the use of the Internet' or 'to keep away from...' instead of 'avoid internet'...maybe I'm wrong; it is just that it sound better to me;

    - I think I'd write 'the only thing we can do is TO be responsible...', you forgot to put the 'to'...just a little distraction.

    As you can see I didn't find anything so bad!
    You did a good job!

    See ya
    Giorgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Francesca,

    It's me...again!

    I just wanna to say that I've changed my mind on the last feedback I gave you (i.e. I think I'd write 'the only thing we can do is TO be responsible...', you forgot to put the 'to'...just a little distraction).
    I think it works without 'to'.

    Sorry

    Bye
    Giorgia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Francesca! First of all let me say that I also learned a lot of things thanks to last week's lesson on security and the Internet. I think the topic is very interesting, and there's so much to say about it! I guess a whole blog wouldn't be enough. By the way, I agree with you when you say that the Internet can be dangerous also for those who use it properly! I think I am quite an intelligent user of the Web, but the fact that you always need to keep your eyes wide open for possible traps sort of scares me. Your privacy could be gone at any moment if you don't pay enough attention! I enjoyed reading what you wrote about black-,white- and grey-hat hackers..I thought there was only one type!
    Linguistically speaking, your post is well written. I'd just like to point out a couple of things:

    - when you introduce a new concept like CRACKER, it should be better to put it in inverted commas ('cracker');

    - when you say that "a hacker can be divided in two categories", I'd change the sentence and write something like "there are two types/categories of hackers" (I just think it sounds better);

    - if you decide to use 'he' to refer to the word 'hacker', I think you should make it clear to the readers by writing something in brackets, such as "from now on I am going to use the pronoun 'he' when referring to 'hackers'";

    - I believe the verb 'divided' is followed by the preposition INTO;

    - I'd write "there is the consideration THAT computers...";

    - I think you could say "avoiding the Internet is inconceivable" instead of "the idea to avoid...";

    - replace 'ourself' with ourSELVES;

    - at the end of your post when you write about 'firewall' and 'antivirus', I'd put them in the plural form.

    I can see you've worked very hard to catch up with the weekly tasks, congratulations!!

    Serena ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Francesca! How are you? I hope you're fine.

    You always write interesting things, you must be very good in searching information in the Web! You managed to add something very curious to our poor definition of 'hacker'.

    Since Giorgia anticipated me, there are only a few things left to mention:

    -when you speak about hackers you use the pronoun 'he': let's not give it for granted that hackers are only men! I think 'they' would be more politically correct
    -you write 'Internet can be dangerous if you use it ingenuously (sometimes, even if you don't do it): I think here you could just say 'even if you don't'..it's shorter, simpler and the meaning is the same
    -'which can happen to your pc and that can undermine your privacy': I think here the use of two different relative pronouns doesn't sound good. You can either avoid to put 'that' or repeat 'which' twice!

    That's all..good job!
    See you soon

    ReplyDelete