Wednesday 8 April 2009

Putting reliability checklist into test


I have to admit that it wasn't easy. When I succeeded in finding something interesting, I couldn't read it because I had to subscribe to a website or purchase the whole work to do it. Sometimes, I could save it but it was protected by copyright so I couldn't copy nor print it. Fortunately, I used google scholar, which helped me to restrict the search and finally I got it!Hurrah!

The article that drew my attention was entitled Foreign Literature in Fascist Italy: Circulation and Censorship. I went on analyzing it and I find it reliable because it supplied the following information:

  • who is the researcher: Jane Dunnett, from the University of London;
  • what is the theoretical framework: it is described in the abstract. The article has an introduction, where she describes the social and political context of Italy in the 1930s and its censorship mechanisms, then she presents some case-studies and finally she draws her conclusions
  • goal of the research: she wants to survey the strategies used by Italian translators in order to pass fascist censorship;
  • place and date of the research: it was carried out in Italy in spring 2000, as you can read in the final notes;
  • kind of study: it is quantitative, this is a survey on the base of documents taken from government and publishers' archives, especially as regards the correspondence between editors and translators;
  • conclusions: the strategies analyzed proved to be useful to import and spread foreign ideas;
  • reservations: they were related to the main features of a dictatorship, like omission and disappearance of important documents.
Image taken from IsaacMao, flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment